Sunday, April 13, 2008

Vulgarity in Art

Vulgarity is a word attached to so many contraversies. Who is to say something is vulgar? What institute should watchdog vulgarity including profanity and explicit images?I am one of those people that usually do not get anything funny out of vulgarity. I do not like Beavis and Butthead, the Crankyankers, or the cartoon where Kenny dies every week (I don't even remember what it is called). It sort of makes me wonder what people see in it and if my IQ lowered 10 points. However, that does not mean that I think it should be banned or whatever. Censorship is such a huge question in my head b/c I have a small child. I do not allow my daughter to see inappropriate things including vulgarity. I think it is a parent's job to monitor what children see and hear, not the government. However, this is currently not working-Parents are not doing their part in a lot of different aspects. I do think that it is harder to get the point across without the use of profanity. Old classic movies did not have the millioin dollar budgets or use a lot of cusswords, but they were awesome. I kind of miss the creative way that things were conveyed and hate hearing and seeing all the filth. It is one of the reasons that I am so glad to see the classic cartoons coming back; they have positive messages and are not realistic or vulgar.

No comments: